Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Friends, Vikings, Kinsmen, Lend Me Your Ears

I come to break my silence, but not just yet... How many times have I written this post, the one to get me back at it? It seems to have happened a few times now on this blog, and it's not you, it's me.

Tomorrow is the beginning of my "School Trip," a tradition in Japan where the 2nd year class goes together on a trip for around three days. My class is going to Hiroshima, Osaka, and Kobe; I've never been more excited for a school event in my life. And, it couldn't have come at a better time.

Not only myself, but a lot of exchange students have been feeling the stress build up since the beginning of summer vacation. As I have come to understand the culture and language I've been immersed in, the more I miss my own, and the more I tend to feel lost between the two. I mean, I come from a white family in the Pacific Northwest, there's not really a lot of "culture" I can show anyone here. There are, however, smiles and jokes and landscapes that I had come to know as my home. I had built my own culture, much like everyone else does, and now find myself building a new one almost in the blueprints of the last. Almost.

Sometimes it feels like when you see a Italian villa with the floor plan of a ranch home.

It's refreshing, and it's hard work, and it doesn't help that I've also been ridiculously busy.

However, rather than writing this "let's get back to it... again" post, I've found myself thinking about specific topics and themes lately. When I get back from my trip you can expect posts about Kendo and my experience with it, Japanese HS vs. U.S. HS, reading in another language, how much I love biking, summer camps, etc. etc.
This School Trip marks the end of my busiest period and now I'm headed into my last three months with just the hopes to enjoy it while it lasts.

I'll be back to writing next week, for now check out my new photos. Hugs and kisses. <3 br="">

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dad is going to see this and he's an ex marine, so be nice.