Monday, February 11, 2013

Hannichi Homestay 2013

Hello everyone! Yesterday myself and three other students spent half the day (hannichi) at the home of a Japanese family living here in Oregon, speaking only in Japanese the entire time. It was a lot of fun but really hard, I'm glad I went. Our family, the Kubota family, consisted of Mama, Papa, Little Brother (7), Big Brother (13), and a Japanese exchange student studying at PSU. They were all super welcoming and I felt so comfortable with them that it was hard to leave when the time came; because they were so welcoming I was able to practice my Japanese without being too scared.

Kubota Family








When we arrived we were instantly ushered to the kotatsu to start introductions. A kotatsu (炬燵) is a low table with a futon attached and a heat source (generally built into the table.) Mama explained that they used the Kotatsu for watching movies, family communication, and eating breakfast together. Under the warm futon we introduced ourselves, chatting and folding origami cranes (the bird of Japan) until we went to make Udon noodles for lunch.

ツル  

To make the noodles we first mixed flour and water, then kneaded it with our feet! I wish I had pictures of that part, but we put the dough in ziploc bags and stepped on them, folding the dough every few minutes. After kneading the dough Mama said, "The dough needs to sleep." and we went back to the kotatsu for a card game that helps you study hiragana. 



After the game our dough was ready to be cut! We all took turns stretching and shaping the dough before finally cutting it. Little Brother helped us by manning the crank handle and boy did he move fast! Once we were all done cutting the dough it went into a pot to boil and we sat back down at the kotatsu for some hot pot. 



All the food was delicious and as we finished up eating the our time with the Kubota's came to an end, three hours had passed with chatting and laughing. Before we left Mama taught us how to do the basics of a Tea Ceremony and we exchanged good byes and good lucks. 

It was a great experience and I hope I'll meet the Kubota family again some day, their kindess reminded me that no matter how much I may mess up my Japanese, people are still willing to help me learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My dad is going to see this and he's an ex marine, so be nice.